Preschool Special Education
All preschool special education programs are approved and regulated by the New York State Education Department. The Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) is responsible for special education placement decisions and Individual Education Plans (IEP) based on individual evaluations. Serving children and families, who reside in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, and New York City.
Half day and full day special education programs follow a therapeutic environment created in the classroom.
- Teachers create a safe and trusting environment where children feel comfortable and can acquire skills, learn to understand feelings, and modify behaviors that can interfere with learning and relationships.
- Each child is assigned to a team that includes parents, teachers, assistant teachers, social workers, and related services therapists, as needed. The team reaches a consensus about priorities.
- Preschool classes, ranging from eight to ten children, make it possible to implement each child's instructional objectives through play, individual instruction time, and regular classroom activities.
- Therapies (physical, occupational, and speech therapy, etc.) are provided within the school day, individually, in a group or through a consult model. The child's team sets appropriate goals and develops interventions that can be implemented during typical classroom activities or at home.
- Computer, music classes, library, indoor and outdoor activities are also part of the child's special education activities
For more information on Preschool programs e-mail us at Information
English Language Learning Classes (ELL)
VCLC offers two half-day special education preschool classes for children whose primary language is Spanish. The goal of the ELL program is to promote English while developing early literacy skills. Classes are initially conducted in Spanish with English introduced gradually. Classes are supported by a bilingual/ bicultural staff. As the children's use of English increases, they may be moved into other VCLC nursery classes.
• Approved by the New York State Department of Health to provide special education and early intervention services for children birth to 3 years of age.
• Chartered by the Board of Regents of the State of New York.
• Approved by the New York State Education Department as a special education facility for children 3 - 8 years of age